Industry Advisory Committee on Veterans’ Employment
The Industry Advisory Committee on Veterans’ Employment has been established to develop practical measures to embed veterans’ employment strategies into recruitment practices of Australian businesses.
The Committee will also play a role in the broader promotion of skills and professional attributes that veterans have to offer employers.
Terms of reference
The Industry Advisory Committee will:
- Develop practical measures to embed veterans' employment strategies into the recruitment practices of Australian business.
- Foster the Committee members and industry leaders to drive creative solutions to provide greater employment opportunities for veterans.
- Develop a sustainable program for employers to gain an understanding of the experiences, skills and qualities of veterans and how these can be applied in the civilian workforce.
- Develop a program to monitor recruitment and long term retention rates of veterans in the civilian workforce.
- Consider any barriers to the successful employment of veterans and recommend strategies to address those barriers.
- Consider the outcomes of any private sector working groups and respond to matters raised when required.
- Examine whether there is scope to encourage business to employ the spouses of serving Australian Defence Force members.
- Provide a report to the Minister for Veterans' Affairs/Defence Personnel by the end of September 2017 outlining the Committee's progress against these Terms of Reference.
The Committee comprises a Chair, Deputy Chair, a representative of small businesses, a representative of the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and representatives of ten other organisations.
The Committee is focusing on five key areas:
- data, research and targets
- human resources policies, accreditation, retention, translation of skills
- communications (branding, awareness, transition seminars, website, job fairs)
- spouse employment of serving ADF members
- Prime Minister’s Veterans’ Employment Annual Awards
The Industry Advisory Committee on Veterans’ Employment held its eighth meeting on 15 June 2018.
The Hon Darren Chester MP, Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, addressed the Committee and thanked members for their work. He laid out his priorities for improving employment outcomes for veterans and ADF spouses, and was updated on progress in the five priority areas that the Committee is working on.
The Committee reviewed the learnings from the inaugural Prime Minister’s Veterans’ Employment Awards, successfully held on 28 March 2018, and endorsed planning already underway for the next Awards, expected to be held in March 2019.
The Committee was updated on the 2018-19 Budget measure that will continue the implementation of initiatives under the Prime Minister’s Veterans’ Employment Program. The Committee will continue to work closely with the Department of Veterans’ Affairs on designing and implementing measures ranging from the provision of additional support for veterans seeking employment to a Committee initiative that will encourage Australian businesses to publicly commit to support the employment of veterans.
The Committee also received a presentation from Adepto on the work it is doing to help businesses to connect veteran applicants to suitable jobs within its workforce, and received a report on arrangements for an Employment Forum that will be held in the lead-up to the Invictus Games.
The Committee will review its priorities for the next twelve months and will provide the Minister with a further progress report in October 2018.
C/- Department of Veterans' Affairs
GPO Box 9998
Canberra ACT 2601