Industry Advisory Committee on Veterans’ Employment
The Industry Advisory Committee on Veterans’ Employment has been established to develop practical measures to embed veterans’ employment strategies into recruitment practices of Australian businesses.
The Committee will also play a role in the broader promotion of skills and professional attributes that veterans have to offer employers.
Terms of reference
The Industry Advisory Committee will:
- Develop practical measures to embed veterans' employment strategies into the recruitment practices of Australian business.
- Foster the Committee members and industry leaders to drive creative solutions to provide greater employment opportunities for veterans.
- Develop a sustainable program for employers to gain an understanding of the experiences, skills and qualities of veterans and how these can be applied in the civilian workforce.
- Develop a program to monitor recruitment and long term retention rates of veterans in the civilian workforce.
- Consider any barriers to the successful employment of veterans and recommend strategies to address those barriers.
- Consider the outcomes of any private sector working groups and respond to matters raised when required.
- Examine whether there is scope to encourage business to employ the spouses of serving Australian Defence Force members.
- Provide a report to the Minister for Veterans' Affairs/Defence Personnel by the end of September 2017 outlining the Committee's progress against these Terms of Reference.
The Committee comprises a Chair, Deputy Chair, a representative of small businesses, a representative of the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and representatives of ten other organisations.
The Committee is focusing on five key areas:
- data, research and targets
- human resources policies, accreditation, retention, translation of skills
- communications (branding, awareness, transition seminars, website, job fairs)
- spouse employment of serving ADF members
- Prime Minister’s Veterans’ Employment Annual Awards
The Industry Advisory Committee on Veterans’ Employment met on 4 August 2017. Five working groups, established by the Committee to focus on priority areas, presented updates and recommendations for the Committee’s program of work going forward. This will inform the Committee’s report to the Minister for Veterans’ Affairs by the end of September.
The Committee was also updated on the work being done by McKinsey & Company for a group of employers assembled by JP Morgan last year. This work will provide vital evidence and recommendations that will inform the Committee’s work.
A representative of Townsville Enterprise also provided the Committee with information on Townsville’s employment situation and outlook. Townsville has close ties with the Australian Defence Force and an interest in the work of the Committee.
The Committee will next meet to finalise its report to the Minister.
C/- Department of Veterans' Affairs
GPO Box 9998
Canberra ACT 2601